5 Best Senior Exercise Videos/DVDs – Buying Guide explores the features, pros and cons, and equipment needed for each. Getting exercise as a senior can be harder to come by yet having an exercise routine is vital for just about everyone.
Maybe you have limited access to a nearby gym; perhaps you lack transportation; maybe you feel more comfortable exercising in your own home, or you’re looking to add to your at-home exercise equipment. If one of these scenarios is something you can relate to, then 5 Best Senior Exercise Videos/DVDs – Buying Guide might be just what you need in narrowing your purchasing choice.
There are a few aspects of working out you should target for a well-rounded routine – strength training, cardio, stretching for increased flexibility, and perhaps balance. When you are incorporating exercise routines, try to get all of these aspects included over the week.
Professional medical advice is important before starting any new physical activity. Be sure to consult with your doctor to get his/her clearance.
If you are interested in streaming your workout there is a great program called My Curves On Demand. To read a post explaining the programs read: MyCurves On Demand (Review)
Balance & Strength
Available in Video and DVD
Run Time – 198 minutes
- Traditional Exercises, and Modified Tai Chi, Yoga & Dance Based Movements
- Chair-seated Practice To Gently Strengthen Your Entire Body (17 Min.)
- Classic Stationary Balances Performed Holding Onto A Chair For Support & Seated Core-strength Work (31 Min.)
- Practical Walking Balances & Dance-based Stepping Movements To Improve Your Ability To React Quickly And Improve Cardiovascular Health, Performed Using A Chair For Support (16 Min.)
- More Challenging Walking & Stepping Balances, Without A Chair (18 Min.)
- Leg Strength Exercises (13 Min.)
- Upper-body Seated Strength & Mobility Exercises (12 Min.)
- Lower Body Stretches (13 Min.)
- Tai Chi Easy Full-body Mobility Practice (17 Min.)
- Tai Chi Practices With Eight Forms, Similar To Traditional Tai Chi, But Modified To Make It Easier To Learn And To Emphasize The Balance Improving Aspects Of Tai Chi (Eight Min.)
- It Also Includes A Separate Short (3-7 Minutes) Tutorial For Learning Each Of The Eight Tai Chi Forms
- Hand Weights
- The Exercises Are Low Impact – Easy On The Knees And Hips
- Well Rounded Workout
- Reasonably Priced
- Available In Both Video And Dvd
- Some People Might Find It A Bit Slow And Tedious
- Complaints The DVD Not Working Correctly
Senior Exercise Workout Video
Available on 3 DVDs
Run Time – Not stated
- 3 Dvds Plus Resistance Band
- Simply Seated Exercise Dvd – Seated Total Body Workout! Great Cardio Workout, Abs, Core, Strength Training
- Vitality Exercise Dvd – Fun And Easy To Follow Total Body Workout With Boxing-inspired Movements. (All Exercises Demonstrated Both Seated And Standing)
- Strength Training Exercise Dvd – Effective Exercises With Targeted Movements For Muscle Building, Core Training, And Fat Burning Using Resistance Bands (All Exercises Demonstrated Seated And Standing)
- Stretching And Balance Segments At The End Of Every Workout.
- Includes Resistance Band
- Chair If Needed
- All Exercises Are Shown Standing and With the Option of Using a Chair
- Variety of Workouts
- Resistance Band Included
- Shows Modifications for Different Levels of Fitness
- May be too fast for some seniors
- Report of Case Damaged in Shipping
Stronger Seniors® Stretch and Strength
Available on DVD – 2 discs
Run Time: 95 minutes
- Strength Training
- Handweights / Dumbbells
- Low Impact – Easy On The Knees And Hips
- Good Price Point
- Gives Modifications
- Great Ratings
- Some Reviews Said The Workout Was Too Slow, But Others Said It Was A Great Pace
- A Few Complaints About The DVD Not Working
Absolute Beginners – Cardio & Strength Training
Available on DVD
Run Time: 63 minutes
- 4 Segments
- Cardio Workout – 22 minutes
- Strength Training – 24 minutes
- Stretching – 5 minutes
- Demonstration Of Modifications Of Exercises
- Participants Are Seniors, Which Some People Might Appreciate
- Good Ratings
- Reasonably Priced
- Music Is Repetitive
- Some More Advanced Exercisers Might Find It Too Easy
Older & Wiser Workout for Seniors
Available on DVD
Run Time – 65 minutes
- Low Impact Aerobics – 23 Minutes
- Strength Training – 21 Minutes
- Cool Down And Stretch – 10 Minutes
- Handweights /Dumbbells
- Three Levels Of Modification
- The Instructor Is Encouraging
- Good Price
- Low Impact
- Well Rounded Workout
- Some People Might Find The Movements Complicated
- Some People May Find The Moves Too Fast
- The Voice Of The Instructor Can Be Distracting
Still Can’t Decide?
Whether you are new to exercise or want to add to your at-home exercise equipment, there is a good variety of exercise videos and DVDs for seniors. If you can’t decide which one you would want, my thought is this: Choose the one you think you will enjoy. My choice may be different than yours, and yours may be different from your friend’s selection, and that’s okay.
Best Exercise Equipment for Seniors – Are You Pumped?
What Are The Best Low Impact Exercises For Seniors?
Best Adult Tricycles – Reviews and Buying Guide
One of the best predictors of whether you will stay with an exercise program is if you enjoy it. If you don’t like yoga, don’t do yoga; if you love aerobic, upbeat exercising, then choose one with music you love and that you can see yourself doing.
With so many senior exercise videos and DVDs available, I have no doubt you will find something you like, and I hope that 5 Best Senior Exercise Videos/DVDs – Buying Guide helps you in that process.
I would love to hear your comments about any exercise videos/DVDs you have enjoyed. What about them made you like them. Have you done any that you didn’t enjoy? Comment below.
2 thoughts on “5 Best Senior Exercise Videos/DVDs – Buying Guide”
I love how that not only in this article but others that you mention the pros and cons to the product you are talking about! great article to read about and very interesting features. Well done 🙂
Thank you I’m happy you found this article useful. I’ve found, for myself, seeing the pros and cons of a product can make it easier to make a choice. Thank you for reading and commenting.