Amazon Prime is a membership service through Amazon that provides various benefits to its subscribers. Is there a senior discount for Amazon Prime? If so, do you qualify? The answer to these questions might surprise you.
Amazon Prime has a program that allows some seniors to qualify for a discount, but not all. Why? I don’t know and can’t answer that question. Hopefully, they will include a senior discount for all seniors on all their goods and services one day.
LivingYourSeniorLife is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.
So How Can A Senior Qualify For an Amazon Prime Discount?
At this time, Amazon has decided to provide senior citizen discounts to those seniors who a part of qualifying government assistance programs such as Medicaid or a qualifying EBT card. Medicaid and qualifying EBT cards are used for government assistance programs like SNAP, WIC, and TANF.
The Amazon Prime discount is 50% off with the price of $5.99 plus tax a month. You will need to qualify every 12 months to be eligible for the discount for up to four years. You will receive an email when it’s time to requalify. Click Here to see more about qualifying.
|Provide One Of The Following To Apply For Discount
|Image of Direct Express Debit Card
|Image of Economic Impact Payment Debit Card (only for a limited time)
|Image of Letter Confirming Your Eligibility for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
|Image of Letter Indicating Current Participation in the National School Lunch Program, With Your Child’s Name, the School Name
|Enter Your EBT Number and Upload an Image of the EBT Card
|Image of Complete Eligibility Letter for Supplemental Security Income (This Is Different From Social Security and SSDI
|Image of Eligibility Letter For Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
|Image of Tribal Assistance Eligibility Letter
|Image of Eligibility Letter For the Women, Infants, and Children Program
More About Amazon Prime
But if you don’t qualify for a discounted Amazon Prime account, you still can get an Amazon Prime subscription and get some great benefits.
Amazon Prime is a subscription membership service. You can cancel Amazon Prime at any time, so you aren’t locked into the membership past a month.
The cost of Amazon Prime without a discount is $12.99 per month or $119.00 annually, which is a savings of $38.88. These prices do not include tax. The Amazon prime discount price is $5.99 plus tax per month with no option for annual payment.
Benefits of Amazon Prime:
Amazon Prime offers many benefits only through a subscription.
- Free 1-Day Delivery on more than 10 million items.
- No Minimum Purchase is Required.
- Be Sure To Order By the Cutoff Time To Receive Your Order By 9:00 pm the Following Day.
- Free Same Day Delivery
- Millions of Items are Available for Amazon Prime Members for the Same Day Delivery
- To Qualify For Same Free Same Day Delivery at this time there is a $35 Minimum Purchase
- In-Garage Delivery
- Only Available to Amazon Prime Members
- No More Concern of Packages Being Stolen From Outside Your Home
- Select Cities and Items
- Get Notifications and Updates of Deliveries
- Free Grocery Delivery
- Available in Select Cities
- Groceries from Fresh and Whole Foods
- To Qualify For Free Grocery Delivery There is a Minimum Order Amount – Varies By City
- Prescription Delivery and Savings: FREE Two-Day Delivery on prescriptions from Amazon Pharmacy
- Free Release-Date Delivery
- Receive your package by 7 pm on the date certain items are released.
- Amazon Prime Gaming includes:
- Free Games To Play
- Twitch Channel Subscription
- Amazon Prime Music includes:
- More than 2 Million Songs That Are Ad-Free
- Access To Millions of Podcast Episodes
- Amazon Prime Video includes:
- Thousands of movies and TV shows at no extra cost
- Additional Options for Movies and TV shows at a lower price.
- Stream on Compatible TV, Gaming Console, Phones Or Tablets
- Subscribe to Premium Channels such as HBO, Showtime, Starz, CBS All Access, and Cinemax.
- $4.99–$14.99/month for Amazon Prime members
- Cancel at Any Time
- No Cable Required for Prime Video
- Amazon Prime Reading includes:
- Free Reading Of Over 1000 Kindle Books, Magazines, Books with Audible Narration, Comics, Children Books at No Additional Cost.
- Discounted Print Magazine Subscriptions:
- 4-month certain magazine subscriptions priced at only $0.99 each
- Amazon Prime Photos include:
- Unlimited Photo Storage
- Share Photos
- Prime Day
- Exclusive for Amazon Prime Members
- Annual 2 Day event with savings and deep discounts
- Prime Try Before You Buy
- This is a great benefit and takes a lot of the worrying out of buying clothing, shoes, and accessories online. You get the items in your home, allowing you to try them on in the comfort of your home. You don’t like something or something that doesn’t fit right – send them back and only pay for what you keep—no upfront charge.
Step-by-Step Guide For Signing Up To Amazon Prime With A Qualifying Discount
- Step 1: Click Get Started. This will take you to Amazon’s Prime Start Page that will look like this:
If you haven’t already done so you will be taken to the log-in page. Do you already have an account with Amazon? If so you will sign in with your email or phone number and click continue.
If you don’t have an account, click on “Create your Amazon account,” and you will be taken to a page that will have you type in your name, email address and create a password, reenter your password and then click on “Create Your Amazon Account.
- Step 2: Next, you will be taken to Amazon’s page shown below:
- Click on Either SNAP or to get the drop-down menu for other options, click on Other
- Click on Your Verification Method
- Step 3:
- Under Issuing State, click on the State that issued the card.
- Upload The Image of your qualifying document.
- Click on the box next to “I confirm that selected program card is current and valid.”
- Go to the right side of the page and click on “Proceed to Signup.”
Though you might not qualify for a discount, the service is still great at the regular price of $12.99 plus tax or $119.00 plus tax per year. Hopefully, one day Amazon will offer a senior discount to all seniors. Until then, the service is still a great buy and offers a 30-day trial and can be canceled at any time.
How to Cancel Amazon Prime
Are you wanting to cancel your Amazon Prime membership? You are able to cancel your membership at any time. To do so follow the steps below:
- Log into your Amazon account.
- At the top right side, click on “Account and Lists.”
- From the Drop-Down menu click “Prime Membership.”
- This will take you to a page that lists your subscriptions.
- At the top of the page, click on “Manage Membership,” and a drop-down menu will appear.
- You will be given a few options;
- Remind me Before Renewing. You will be notified three days before the expiration to cancel.
- End Membership – Immediate cancellation
- Click on “End Membership” (it’s the smaller box at the bottom of the drop-down menu)
- This will take you to another page that may show you how much you have saved etc.
- You will be given three options: Remind Me Later; Continue to Cancel and Keep My Benefits
- Choose the Option you want to continue with.
- To cancel – click on Continue to Cancel
- Choose the Option you want to continue with.
- You should receive a confirmation page when you complete the cancellation
- If you have any issues with cancelling you can call Amazon at 1-888-280-4331
Is There A Senior Discount for Amazon Prime? Do You Qualify? Maybe if you’re a part of qualifying government assistance programs. I hope in your reading this post, you were able to find out if you do qualify.
Even though Amazon and Amazon Prime do not offer senior discounts to all seniors, I’m hoping that will change in the future. Will it? I don’t know. I’m an Amazon Prime Member without a discount, and because I find it so convenient, I’ll probably continue to pay full price until I no longer feel it is worth the benefits I enjoy by subscribing.
Please comment below with your experience using Amazon Prime.