Security cameras are a great way to keep your home safer and more secure. But what is the best security camera for you? Blink Outdoor versus Ring Spotlight Cam Plus compares two of the most popular home security cameras helping you determine which one is the best security camera for your needs.
Have you heard of the increasing amount of package thefts; do you want to see who is at your door before answering, or knowing when a package is delivered, or perhaps even something more menacing? All of these are valid reasons for investing in a home security camera.
At the end of this post, you will find an easy-to-read comparison table that shows the similarities and differences between the Blink Outdoor and Ring Security Spotlight Cam Plus alarm systems.
Blink Outdoor Security Camera
- Color – Black
- 110° Diagonal Field of View
- Can Be Used Outdoor and Indoor
- Easy Setup – For Most, Professional Installation Is Not Needed
- Image Resolution Up to 1080p
- Infrared Night Vision
- Live View
- Motion Alerts Detection
- Receive On Your Phone With the Option to Customize Motion Zones With The Blink Cameras Home Monitor App
- Multiple Camera Kit Purchase Options
- Operating Temperature: -4 to 113° F
- Photo Resolution – 640 x 360 nHD
- Store Video Clips with cloud storage with Subscription Plan – More Information Below
- Two-Year Battery Life – Runs on Two AA Lithium included
- Battery Life Will Vary Based on Device Settings, Use, and Environmental Factors.
- Video Resolution
- Record and View in 1080p HDVideo During the Day and With HD Infrared Night Vision After Dark.
- Works With Alexa
- Arm and Disarm Your Camera
- Be Alerted to Motion
- Play Recorded Clips
- Stream Live Video
- Two-Way Audio
- High-Speed Internet Connection – Such As Broadband, Fiber, or DSL
- Wifi Network: 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g/n
- The Blink camera system does require power and a WiFi/Internet connection to operate. If it loses these connections, it will automatically resume regular operation as soon as these connections are restored. However, the new Photo Capture feature coming soon- will take and store photos automatically every hour. When WiFi is restored, captured images will be uploaded to the Cloud for you to view as a clip.
- Smart Phone – iOS 12.5, Android 5.0, or Fire OS 5.1
- Included in the box:
- Blink Outdoor Camera Kit
- Sync Module 2
- 1.5V Non-Rechargeable AA Lithium Metal Batteries: 2 Per Camera
- Mounting Kit – Per Camera
- USB Cable
- Power Adapter
- Blink Outdoor Camera Kit
Blink Home Monitor App
The Blink Home Monitor App is where you can record, view, and save events.
Use the Blink Home Monitor app to check in on what’s happening at home from anywhere at any time. The app connects your phone to your home with video so you can see what’s going on whenever you choose.
Setting Up the App
Using a QR code, the app is simple to set up. You link both the Blink sync module 2 (included) and the Blink outdoor camera with your blink account simply by scanning their respective codes in-app via wifi connection.
There’s no need to stress over complicated passwords; just input what’s needed once you’re logged in it’s ready to go. (including an email address).
Some Features of The App
The Blink Home Monitor app allows you to communicate through 2-way audio so you can talk to whoever is outside.
The features on the app offer plenty of custom settings. One setting, for instance, is where you can set activity zones. If you don’t want to get specific motion alerts, for example, let’s say you have a neighbor’s tree hanging over your side of the fence. During storms, it sets off the motion detection on your camera and sends you alerts all night. With activity zones, you can set the camera not to monitor that area, and thus you are able to get a good night’s sleep.
Included in your purchase, you will receive a free trial of the Blink Camera Subscription Plan. With the subscription, you will be able to record, view, and store motion clips in the Blink App.
After the 30 day trial, you can continue the subscription for $3 a month per camera. If you have more than one camera, there is also a $10 per month option for unlimited cameras at one location. Your subscription plan will automatically renew and continue until you choose to cancel it.
However, you can save events locally to the Blink Sync Module 2 via a USB flash drive (sold separately).
- 1-Year Limited Warranty and Service Included But Subject to Terms
- For Terms of Warranty, Click Here
- Can Add On Additional Cameras
- Alexa Compatible
- Does Not Work With Siri
- Lag Time
- Not Compatible with 5ghz WiFi Networks
Ring Spotlight Cam Plus
- Connection at 2.4 GHz
- Requires a minimum upload speed of 2 Mbps for optimal performance.
- Two-way audio with noise cancellation
- Live view
- Up to 1080p HD Video
- Works with Alexa
- Rechargeable battery pack
- Day and Night
- Infrared HD night vision
- Motion-activated LED Spotlights
- Siren Alarm
- Average Install – 5-10 minutes
- Field of view – 140 degrees horizontal
- Add-on plan for professional monitoring
- Available colors – White and Black
- Compatible with solar panel (Sold Separately)
- 1-year limited warranty and service
- 30-day return policy
- Included in the box:
- Spotlight Cam Battery
- Mounting Base
- Quick-Release Battery Pack
- Installation Hardware
- Micro USB Charging Cable
- User Manual
- Security Sticker
Ring Mobile App
The Ring App is a smartphone app that is the command center of your Ring devices, where you control the settings and interact with the Ring Spotlight Cam.
Among other things, you can see and speak to visitors, set up motion detection and sensitivity levels, pause motion detection, and see what your camera is monitoring. Adjusting motion frequency can cut down on notification overload and save battery life.
The Neighbors portion of the app lets you stay informed with local safety alerts, so you will know what is taking place in your neighborhood. You and others on the app can share information about safety incidents and lost pets.
The Neighbors App uses your address to create a radius around your home. If anyone shares an alert on the app about crime or safety within that radius, you’ll get a notification on your phone and tablet.
You will also hear from your local public safety agencies about important incidents in your area.
Ring provides an option that allows you to get 24/7 professional monitoring, video recording around your home, and 24/7 Backup Internet. This is at an additional cost through Ring Protect Pro.
The Ring Spotlight Battery operated security camera has an easy installation process. It comes with the tools and screws needed for installation. The battery comes to you already changed. That means your Ring Alarm System can be ready for use in as little as 15 minutes from when you open the box.
The Ring Spotlight Cam Wired is the wired version that is more challenging to install because of the cables but if you prefer a wired device it is an option available.
- SirenMotion-activated Ring Floodlight Cam
- Professional Monitoring Available For An Additional Price
- Lifetime Theft Protection
- Reported low battery life, but this can be alleviated with a solar panel available at an additional charge.
- No cloud storage
- Some report difficulty with the camera monitoring distance and view angle.
- The price point is higher than other systems.
For a review of the Ring Spotlight Cam, see Ring Spotlight Cam Review – Home Security
Blink vs Ring Spotlight Camera Security System
|Features||Blink Security Camera||Ring Spotlight Cam Plus|
|Color||Black||Black or White|
|Live View||Yes 1080p HD Video||Yes 1080p HD Video|
|Compatible With Alexa||Yes||Yes|
|Customizable Motion Recording||Yes||Yes|
|Day & Night||Yes||Yes|
|Motion Activated Alerts||Yes||Yes|
|Motion Activated Spotlights||No||Yes|
|Solar Panel||No||Yes (Optional)|
|Field of View||110 Degrees Diagonal||140 Degrees Horizontal|
|Professional Monitoring||No||Available With Extra Cost|
|Warranty||1-Year Limited||1-Year Limited|
|Price||Click Here For Price||Click Here For Price|
Blink versus Ring
While reading about the Blink vs. Ring alarm systems, you may have noticed they carry many of the same features.
Both devices offer motion detection capability and the ability to act as a deterrent for would-be criminals. The cameras connect directly to your phone and send notifications when motion is detected. Most importantly, they both allow you to monitor your surroundings and keep your home safe.
Ring and Blink both offer night vision, so even when it’s dark out, you are able to see what is monitored.
The Blink Outdoor Security Camera and Ring Spotlight Cam Wired two-way feature audio, allowing you to hear and speak through your device. The Blink cameras can pan and zoom, offering a wider field of view.
Both the Blink and the Ring Cameras are weather resistant. It’s worth noting that both devices are water-resistant, not waterproof however.
Difference In Features
The battery setup is different between the Blink and Ring spotlight. Blink cameras use two AA lithium batteries, which means they are not rechargeable. The average battery life is two years and will need to be replaced. The battery life could be less, depending on how the camera is used.
The Ring comes with a battery pack, and the batteries are rechargeable. There is an option to purchase a second battery pack so that one is up and running when the other is being recharged.
As we discuss the differences in batteries, there is another difference that might affect your purchase decision. If you prefer not to deal with batteries, the Ring offers a solar panel for an additional cost.
The Ring Spotlight Cam has a remote-activated siren. The Blink does not have a spotlight feature.
The Ring has a motion-activated spotlight. The Blink does not come with a spotlight.
The Blink Security Camera is less expensive than the Ring. Your first instinct may be to purchase the less expensive Blink Camera because the devices offer so many of the same features. But be aware that there are more add-on features with Ring. So consider if the add-on options are worth the difference in price.
You Might Also Be Interested In Reading: Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Plus Review
Both the Blink and the Ring outdoor cameras offer motion detection capability and the ability to act as a deterrent for would-be criminals. The cameras connect directly to your phone and send notifications when motion is detected. Most importantly, they both allow you to monitor your surroundings and keep your home safe.
So which system will you choose? Both the Blink and the Ring Cameras are good choices. Both will monitor your home and send you alerts. The Ring Camera does have a few more features than the Blink. The rechargeable batteries, solar panel option, siren, and spotlight are found with Ring Cameras. Being a more expensive choice, it might be the one you want because of the added options.
But the Blink is a good system, and if you are not looking for the add-on features, this is a more budget-friendly choice. So which system should you choose – Choose the one that best fits your needs.
Other Useful Articles
For a single article review of the Ring Spotlight read it here: Ring Spotlight Cam Review
Thank you for stopping by and looking at Blink Outdoor versus Ring Spotlight Cam Plus. With all products, features can change, so be sure the qualities that attract you to the product are still the same before purchasing.
Have you had any experiences with home security cameras, or have you had an incident that you wish you had? Please comment below.